Вход на сайт

Просмотр новости

Найдите то, что Вас интересует

Syria blames Israel for strikes on military airport in Idlib

Дата публикации: 18-08-2026 11:50:09

Syria blames Israel for strikes on military airport in Idlib
Welcome back to the Daily Briefing.This is Ezgi Akin, filling in for Gabrielle. In today’s edition:Syria blames Israel for strikes on military airport in IdlibIran says Hormuz to remain shut until US meets conditionsKushner agrees Hamas disarmament to precede Israeli withdrawalWhy Iran targeted Barzani family stronghold in Iraqi KurdistanThanks for reading,Ezgi (ezgi_akin)Syria blames Israel for strikes on military airport in IdlibA Russian military aircraft approaches the Hmeimim air base in Latakia, Syria, Dec. 15, 2024. REUTERS/Umit Bektas/File Photo A Syrian airport in the northwestern province of Idlib was hit by a series of airstrikes early Tuesday that Damascus blamed on Israel.The strikes targeted the Abu al-Duhur military airport’s runway and storage facilities, according to Syrian state media. No casualties were reported. The Israeli military had not claimed responsibility as of this writing.Syria considers the strikes “an unjustified act of aggression, a flagrant violation of Syria’s sovereignty and territorial integrity, and a dangerous escalation that threatens security and stability in the region,” the Foreign Ministry said in a statement.The ministry added that the strikes came despite Damascus having “exercised restraint and worked to consolidate stability and avoid escalation,” saying the attacks “once again demonstrate the Israeli occupation’s attempts to undermine these efforts and drag the region towards further tension and instability.”“The Syrian Arab Republic holds the Israeli occupation responsible for this escalation and calls on the international community and the United Nations Security Council to clearly condemn this aggression,” the statement said.The Abu al-Duhur base has also drawn attention amid Turkey’s expanding military role in Syria, with reports that Ankara has been involved in efforts to rehabilitate the facility.Listen to a breakdown of the top headlines on today’s episode of the Middle East Minute podcast with Adam Lucente.Iran says Hormuz to remain shut until US meets conditionsVessels near the Strait of Hormuz, as seen from Musandam, Oman, Aug. 17, 2026. REUTERS/Stringer Top Iranian negotiator Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf said Tuesday that the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the United States meets the terms of an interim agreement reached with Tehran in June. Ghalibaf, who is also speaker of Iran’s parliament, told lawmakers that Washington must lift its blockade of Iranian ports, remove oil sanctions, release frozen Iranian assets and end military operations and threats against Iran, according to comments carried by state media. The June 17 memorandum of understanding quickly unraveled over a dispute about control of the Strait of Hormuz. Kushner agrees Hamas disarmament precedes Israel's withdrawalJared Kushner speaks during the inaugural meeting of the Board of Peace at the Donald J. Trump Institute of Peace on Feb. 19 in Washington. — Photo by Chip Somodevilla/ Getty ImagesUS envoy Jared Kushner and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu agreed on Monday that any further Israeli withdrawal from Gaza would depend on Hamas disarming, following a four-hour meeting in Jerusalem.Channel 12 reported that the first step would require Hamas to hand over its weapons for destruction under international supervision. Netanyahu said Israeli forces would withdraw from the Yellow Line only when security conditions allow.The meeting also produced an agreement to establish working groups on Gaza’s demilitarization and on public health issues. Kushner had met Hamas officials a day earlier in Cairo, where the group demanded Israel's commitment to the US peace plan before disarming. Rina Bassist has details.Why Iran targeted Barzani family stronghold in Iraqi KurdistanSmoke rises after explosions were heard and air defenses activated near the airport in Erbil, Iraqi Kurdistan, July 24, 2026. — AFP via Getty ImagesIraqi Kurdistan Prime Minister Masrour Barzani accused Iran on Monday of launching two explosive drones at his office and the home of the region’s security and intelligence chief, calling the attacks a “dangerous escalation.”Kurdish counterterrorism authorities said the Hadid 110 drones were launched from Iranian territory. No fatalities were reported, and Tehran had not commented as of the time of publication.The attack came amid repeated Iranian and Iran-backed strikes on Iraqi Kurdistan since the US-Iran war began. Barzani said a day earlier that the region wanted to stay out of the conflict but had been attacked more than 1,000 times.The strikes also followed the withdrawal of US Patriot missile batteries from a base near Erbil's airport, leaving the region more exposed as US forces prepare for a broader drawdown from Iraq. Amberin Zaman has details.
eakin@al-monitor.com
Tue, 08/18/2026 - 07:50



Ezgi Akin



Sector

Politics & Security



Set as free content
Off


Newsletter
Daily Briefing


Geographic Categories

Syria
Israel
Iran
United States
Iraq
Palestine




Основное содержимое страницы с новостью.

Why AL-MONITOR?

AL-MONITOR is an award-winning media outlet covering the Middle East, valued for its independence, diversity and analysis. It is read widely by US, international and Middle East decision makers at the highest levels, as well as by media, thought and business leaders and academia.

message icon

Live news & notifications

Follow over 100 expert journalists based across the region and get notified in real time of breaking stories and exclusives. *Expanded coverage on Energy & Defense sectors.

message icon

Premier analysis of the Middle East

Access the sharpest and most diverse regional minds giving you all the angles on regional trends.

message icon

Live events & video

Priority access to roundtables, summits and other events alongside AL-MONITOR's global community of regional influencers.

message icon

Specialized Newsletters

Get timely reporting on key countries and sectors with up to 10 daily and weekly newsletters straight to your inbox.

message icon

Big, exclusive interviews

Follow conversations with the region's biggest names in politics and business.

message icon

AL-MONITOR archives since 2012

Access a repository of over a decade's worth of regional coverage, insights and trends.

Схожие новости

#Наименование новостиТональностьИнформативностьДата публикации
1Iran’s Bagheri: No deal on Hormuz yet0327-05-2026
2Iran says it doesn’t seek to resume negotiations with Washington012.2827-07-2026
3Syria, Russia reach deal on Russian bases016.4210-08-2026
4Iran warns Gulf states against assisting US 013.5619-08-2026
5Trump says Hormuz to reopen after ‘very good’ Iran talks010.305-08-2026
6Iran declares 'existential war' as US strikes reach near Tehran-2216-07-2026
7The race to restore Hormuz0501-07-2026
8 Israel’s Netanyahu to discuss Iran, Lebanon with Trump013.4628-07-2026
9Cargo ship attack near Hormuz clouds US-Iran diplomacy013.8704-08-2026
10دکتۆر ئێدمۆند غەریب: سەپاندنی شەریعەت لە دەستوری کاتیی سوریادا دڵەڕاوکێی لەناو پێکهاتە ئاینیەکاندا دروست کردووە0714-03-2025

Классификация: . Схожих патентов: 0. Схожих новостей: 10. Тональность: 0. Информативность: 10.5. Источник: www.al-monitor.com.