Вход на сайт

Просмотр новости

Найдите то, что Вас интересует

Trump administration again labels Houthis 'terrorist organization'

Дата публикации: 04-03-2025 16:15:15

WASHINGTON — The U.S. State Department on Tuesday reinstated the "foreign terrorist organization" designation for Yemen's Iran-backed Houthi group, fulfilling an order announced by President Donald Trump shortly after he took office.
Secretary of State Marco Rubio announced the department had restored the designation, which carries with it sanctions and penalties for anyone providing "material support" for the group.
"Since 2023, the Houthis have launched hundreds of attacks against commercial vessels in the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden, as well as U.S. service members defending freedom of navigation and our regional partners," Rubio said in a statement. "Most recently, the Houthis spared Chinese-flagged ships while targeting American and allied vessels."
The Houthis have targeted more than 100 merchant vessels in the critical trade corridor with missiles and drones since the Israel-Hamas war in the Gaza Strip started in October 2023.
In January, the group signaled that it would limit its attacks in the Red Sea corridor to only Israeli-affiliated ships after a ceasefire began in the Gaza Strip but warned that wider assaults could resume if needed.
Trump's first Republican administration had similarly designated the Houthis in its waning days, but the designation had been revoked by President Joe Biden's Democratic administration over concerns it would badly affect the delivery of aid to Yemen, which was facing one of the world's worst humanitarian crises.
The United Nations said last month that it suspended its humanitarian operations in the stronghold of Yemen's Houthi rebels after they detained eight more U.N. staffers.
The rebels in recent months have detained dozens of U.N. staffers, as well as people associated with aid groups, civil society and the once-open U.S. Embassy in Sanaa, Yemen's capital. None of the U.N. staffers have been released.
The Iranian-backed Houthis have been fighting Yemen's internationally recognized government, which is backed by a Saudi-led coalition, since 2014, when they descended from their stronghold in Saada and took control of Sanaa and most of the north.


Основное содержимое страницы с новостью.

WASHINGTON — 

The U.S. State Department on Tuesday reinstated the "foreign terrorist organization" designation for Yemen's Iran-backed Houthi group, fulfilling an order announced by President Donald Trump shortly after he took office.

Secretary of State Marco Rubio announced the department had restored the designation, which carries with it sanctions and penalties for anyone providing "material support" for the group.

"Since 2023, the Houthis have launched hundreds of attacks against commercial vessels in the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden, as well as U.S. service members defending freedom of navigation and our regional partners," Rubio said in a statement. "Most recently, the Houthis spared Chinese-flagged ships while targeting American and allied vessels."

The Houthis have targeted more than 100 merchant vessels in the critical trade corridor with missiles and drones since the Israel-Hamas war in the Gaza Strip started in October 2023.

In January, the group signaled that it would limit its attacks in the Red Sea corridor to only Israeli-affiliated ships after a ceasefire began in the Gaza Strip but warned that wider assaults could resume if needed.

Trump's first Republican administration had similarly designated the Houthis in its waning days, but the designation had been revoked by President Joe Biden's Democratic administration over concerns it would badly affect the delivery of aid to Yemen, which was facing one of the world's worst humanitarian crises.

The United Nations said last month that it suspended its humanitarian operations in the stronghold of Yemen's Houthi rebels after they detained eight more U.N. staffers.

The rebels in recent months have detained dozens of U.N. staffers, as well as people associated with aid groups, civil society and the once-open U.S. Embassy in Sanaa, Yemen's capital. None of the U.N. staffers have been released.

The Iranian-backed Houthis have been fighting Yemen's internationally recognized government, which is backed by a Saudi-led coalition, since 2014, when they descended from their stronghold in Saada and took control of Sanaa and most of the north.

This item is part of

Схожие новости

#Наименование новостиТональностьИнформативностьДата публикации
1US issues new Houthi-related sanctions09.9105-03-2025
2Yemen’s Houthis launch major attacks on Saudi-backed forces (VIDEOS)020.307-08-2026
3US counterterror official warns of growing global threat06.8415-02-2025
4Iran-Krieg: Trump droht Iran nach Huthi-Angriffen mit „schwerer Strafe“016.423-07-2026
5Trump says Iran will be held responsible for Houthi attacks in Red Sea08.8123-07-2026
6Trump backed Saudi strikes on Yemen – Axios0514-07-2026
7Cornered MBS turns to Saudi‑backed Yemeni forces as govt strikes Houthis?010.409-08-2026
8Los hutíes de Yemen atacan dos petroleros saudíes en el mar Rojo, mientras las amenazas y los ataques cruzados entre Estados Unidos e Irán continúan05.623-07-2026
9Iran-backed Houthis clash with Yemeni forces and other Mideast developments07.7314-08-2026
10США убрали группировку йеменских мятежников-хуситов из списка террористических организаций0016-02-2021

Классификация: Международные. Схожих патентов: 0. Схожих новостей: 10. Тональность: 0. Информативность: 7.27. Источник: www.voanews.com.