Вход на сайт

Просмотр новости

Найдите то, что Вас интересует

Biden commutes sentence for Indigenous activist Leonard Peltier, convicted in killing of FBI agents

Дата публикации: 20-01-2025 15:26:55



The White House said on Friday that the FBI had given President Donald Trump boxes stemming from a search of his Florida property for classified documents that were taken after Trump left office during his first term, NBC News reported.
It was not immediately clear whether the boxes included classified materials, but Trump celebrated obtaining them in a post on Truth Social on Friday night.
“The Department of Justice has just returned the boxes that Deranged Jack Smith made such a big deal about. They are being brought down to Florida and will someday be part of the Trump Presidential Library,” Trump wrote. “Justice finally won out. I did absolutely nothing wrong. This was merely an attack on a political opponent that, obviously, did not work well. Justice in our Country will now be restored.”
White House staffers were seen Friday loading roughly 15 boxes of documents onto the rear of Air Force One.













Trump Administration

5 hours ago



Vance leans hard into Trump's foreign policy — and sparks an extraordinary Oval Office skirmish














Russia-Ukraine War

22 hours ago



Zelenskyy's meeting with Trump and Vance unravels into an extraordinary clash






White House communications director Steven Cheung said that the FBI was “giving the President his property back that was taken during the unlawful and illegal raids.”
“We are taking possession of the boxes today and loading them onto Air Force One,” Cheung said in a statement.
Responding to reporter questions during flight, counselor to the president Alina Habba said she had personally carried some of the boxes with the staffers “to get them back to where they belong, which is where they were unlawfully taken from, and that is Florida.”
Habba criticized the special counsel who probed Trump’s handling of classified documents and first brought charges in 2023, saying, “Jack Smith is no longer. We are in the Oval Office.”
“Frankly, this was a hoax, as we knew,” Habba added.
Asked what was contained in the boxes, Habba said: “These are President Trump’s things. These are his items, and they needed to be returned to him.”
Habba did not respond directly when asked whether the White House is changing any storage protocol following the FBI’s search of Trump’s Florida property in 2022 and seizure of a trove of classified materials.
She instead referred to pictures, newspaper articles, “things that were completely irrelevant” to the investigation, that “were taken from President Trump, and those are now being returned.”
A federal judge dismissed Trump’s classified documents case last year after she found that Smith’s appointment and funding for the investigation had violated the law. Smith later urged an appeals court to revive the case, which the Justice Department dropped after Trump won the presidential election last year, citing longstanding department policy that opposes prosecuting a sitting president. Smith resigned in January.
Trump had pleaded not guilty and denied any wrongdoing after he was charged in 2023 in the Southern District of Florida with willfully retaining national defense information, making false statements and representations, and conspiring to obstruct justice.
In a superseding indictment that year, Trump was also accused of scheming with co-defendants to delete security video at his Mar-a-Lago resort.
The Justice Department last month also dropped its case against Trump’s co-defendants, Trump aide Walt Nauta and property manager Carlos De Oliveira, who had pleaded not guilty in the case, effectively terminating the prosecution.
This article first appeared on NBCNews.com. Read more from NBC News here:
Trump administration and Musk’s DOGE plan to fire nearly all CFPB staff and wind down agency, employees say
Puerto Ricans worry over new Trump order designating English as U.S. official language
Elon Musk takes familiar fraud, waste claims to Joe Rogan with DOGE discussion


Основное содержимое страницы с новостью.

Just moments before leaving office, President Joe Biden commuted the life sentence of Indigenous activist Leonard Peltier, who was convicted in the 1975 killings of two FBI agents.

Peltier was denied parole as recently as July and wasn’t eligible for parole again until 2026. He was serving life in prison for the killings during a standoff on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in South Dakota. He will transition to home confinement, Biden said in a statement.

Biden issued a record number of individual pardons and commutations. He announced Friday that he was commuting the sentences of almost 2,500 people convicted of nonviolent drug offenses, and he issued a broad pardon to his son Hunter, who was prosecuted for gun and tax crimes.

Chauncey Peltier, who was 10 when his father was locked up, was shocked and thrilled.

“It means my dad finally gets to go home,” Peltier said. “One of the biggest rights violation cases in history and one of the longest-held political prisoners in the United States. And he gets to go home finally. Man, I can’t explain how I feel.”

Peltier's tribe, the Turtle Mountain Band of Chippewa, has a home ready for him on the Turtle Mountain Indian Reservation in Belcourt, North Dakota, his son said.

Bureau of Prisons spokesperson Emery Nelson said Peltier remained incarcerated Monday at USP Coleman, a high-security prison in Florida.

Outgoing Interior Secretary Deb Haaland, the first Native American Cabinet member, posted on X that the commutation ″signifies a measure of justice that has long evaded so many Native Americans for so many decades. I am grateful that Leonard can now go home to his family. I applaud President Biden for this action and understanding what this means to Indian Country.”

The fight for Peltier’s freedom is entangled with the Indigenous rights movements. Nearly half a century later, his name remains a rallying cry.

Peltier was active in the American Indian Movement, which has grappled with police brutality and discrimination against Native Americans since the 1960s.

The movement grabbed headlines in 1973 when it took over the village of Wounded Knee on Pine Ridge — the Oglala Lakota Nation's reservation — leading to a 71-day standoff with federal agents.

On June 26, 1975, agents went to Pine Ridge to serve arrest warrants amid battles over Native treaty rights and self-determination.

After being injured in a shootout, agents Jack Coler and Ronald Williams were shot in the head at close range, the FBI said. AIM member Joseph Stuntz was also killed.

Two other movement members and Peltier's co-defendants, Robert Robideau and Dino Butler, were acquitted in the killings of Coler and Williams.

After fleeing to Canada, Peltier was extradited to the United States and convicted of two counts of first-degree murder. He was sentenced to life in prison in 1977, despite defense claims of falsified evidence.

Biden’s action Monday follows decades of lobbying and protests by Native American leaders and others who maintain Peltier was wrongfully convicted. Amnesty International has long considered him a political prisoner. Advocates for his release have included Archbishop Desmond Tutu, civil rights icon Coretta Scott King, actor and director Robert Redford, and musicians Pete Seeger, Harry Belafonte and Jackson Browne.

Law enforcement officers, former FBI agents, their families and prosecutors strongly opposed a pardon or any reduction in Peltier’s sentence. Democratic Presidents Bill Clinton and Barack Obama rejected Peltier’s clemency requests, and he was denied parole in 1993, 2009 and 2024.

The No Parole Peltier Association, led by former FBI agents, issued a statement condemning the action.

“There is little doubt that the President failed to understand the details of the line-of-duty killings of FBI Agents Jack R. Coler and Ronald A. Williams," the group said in a statement. “Certainly, the President did not see the dreadful crime scene photograph.”

Former FBI Director Christopher Wray never wavered from his opposition to Peltier’s release. In a private letter sent to Biden earlier this month and obtained by The Associated Press, Wray reiterated his position that “Peltier is a remorseless killer” and said he hoped the president wasn't considering a pardon or commutation.

"Granting Peltier any relief from his conviction or sentence is wholly unjustified and would be an affront to the rule of law,” Wray wrote.

Peltier’s supporters pushed Biden to act because Peltier is 80 and has health problems, including diabetes, high blood pressure, heart trouble and an aortic aneurysm discovered in 2016, according to his lawyers.

Peltier's attorney, Kevin Sharp, celebrated Peltier's commutation and insisted there was never any evidence that proved Peltier was guilty.

“It recognizes the injustice of what happened in Mr. Peltier’s case," Sharp, a former federal judge, said. “And it sends a signal to Native Americans in Indian country that their concerns -- what has happened to them and their treatment -- isn’t going to be ignored. It’s a step toward reconciliation and healing.”

___

Hanna reported from Topeka, Kansas, and Karnowski reported from Minneapolis. Associated Press reporters Hannah Fingerhut in Des Moines, Iowa; Josh Funk in Omaha, Nebraska; Heather Hollingsworth in Mission, Kansas; and Jack Dura, in Bismarck, North Dakota, contributed.

Схожие новости

#Наименование новостиТональностьИнформативностьДата публикации
1Закуска из грибов: очень быстро и вкусно!07.3824-05-2026

Классификация: . Схожих патентов: 0. Схожая новость: 1. Тональность: 0. Информативность: 0. Источник: www.nbcboston.com.