Вход на сайт

Просмотр новости

Найдите то, что Вас интересует

Health chiefs urge doctors and the Government to do 'whatever it takes' to ensure next week's strikes don't go ahead

Дата публикации: 16-09-2023 03:40:21

Junior doctors and consultants are due to walk out together for the first time on Wednesday in what has been described as a 'step too far' and a 'nightmare scenario' for patients.

Основное содержимое страницы с новостью.

By SHAUN WOOLLER HEALTH EDITOR

Published: 20:42 EDT, 15 September 2023 | Updated: 23:40 EDT, 15 September 2023

Health leaders have urged doctors and the Government to do 'whatever it takes' to ensure next week's strikes do not go ahead.

Junior doctors and consultants are due to walk out together for the first time on Wednesday in what has been described as a 'step too far' and a 'nightmare scenario' for patients.

The heads of England's ten largest teaching and research hospitals have written to the British Medical Association and the Prime Minister to express their 'profound concerns'.

They warned that each escalation 'tests the limits' of what the NHS can manage safely and added: 'Inevitably there will come a point where that limit is exceeded.' They stressed that while previous strikes had primarily impacted on elective care, leading to the cancellation of almost a million appointments, further action also risked hampering their ability to 'maintain safe emergency services'.

Junior Doctors strike outside University College Hospital in London on August 14, 2023

In July, the Government said junior doctors would get pay rises of 6 per cent, along with a £1,250 increase, and hospital consultants will also receive 6 per cent. Health Secretary Steve Barclay has described the deal as 'final' and refused to enter further negotiations (File Photo)

The cost of managing the walkouts – believed to be £1billion so far – was 'having a material impact on the resources available for improving care for the future', they added.

In July, the Government said junior doctors would get pay rises of 6 per cent, along with a £1,250 increase, and hospital consultants will also receive 6 per cent. Health Secretary Steve Barclay has described the deal as 'final' and refused to enter further negotiations.

Seven of the ten trusts who wrote to the PM paid consultants £269 an hour to cover night shifts for striking junior doctors in August, the Health Service Journal reported.

Схожие новости

#Наименование новостиТональностьИнформативностьДата публикации
1Militant junior doctors are urged to 'come back to the table' as thousands begin 3-day NHS strike that threatens to cripple hospitals at 'worst possible time' in demand of 35% pay rise011.4420-12-2023
2NHS braces for 'worst strike in its history' tomorrow in three-day action013.7612-03-2023
3Junior doctors launch four-day strike TODAY as Health Secretary Steve Barclay blasts 'unnecessary' walkouts set to pile further misery on the NHS amid bitter ongoing pay dispute07.6611-08-2023
4Health secretary accuses 'militant' unions of 'unrealistic' demands ahead of junior doctors strike012.809-04-2023
5Doctors have now spent 700 hours on strike after taking their devastating walkout tally to 22 days since March012.9123-09-2023
6Junior doctors could strike for 72 HOURS in March, warns 'militant' union demanding a 35% pay rise010.3502-03-2023
7Now NHS is left 'adrift and rudderless' as consultants go on strike for two days - leaving just a 'Christmas Day' level of service behind013.3320-07-2023
8About time! Doctors in talks with the Department of Health to put an end to NHS strikes07.5121-10-2023
9Junior doctor pay talks collapse in just an hour as militant medics refuse to negotiate011.3723-03-2023
10NHS nurses' strike could 'overwhelm' hospitals and leave patient safety in 'precarious position'07.4626-04-2023

Классификация: Общество. Схожих патентов: 0. Схожих новостей: 10. Тональность: 0. Информативность: 7.16. Источник: www.dailymail.co.uk.