Вход на сайт

Просмотр новости

Найдите то, что Вас интересует

ANOTHER SNP HOSPITAL FIASCO! John Swinney's government faces lawsuit over abandoned £2billion Monklands plan

Дата публикации: 29-06-2026 11:24:48

John Swinney 's government could face a massive legal bill after it scrapped a £2 billion hospital plan just half an hour before parliament closed for the summer.

Основное содержимое страницы с новостью.

John Swinney’s government could face a massive legal bill after it scrapped a £2 billion hospital plan just half an hour before parliament closed for the summer.

North Lanarkshire Council leader Jim Logue says he is prepared to sue SNP ministers over their decision to abandon current plans to replace crumbling Monklands Hospital in Airdrie.

The Scottish Mail on Sunday can also reveal that the chief executive of NHS Lanarkshire, which would be responsible for the new hospital, was only told of the SNP’s U-turn an hour before Health Secretary Angela Constance announced it in Holyrood.

Airdrie MSP Neil Gray is also facing claims that he ‘deceived’ constituents in the run-up to the Scottish Parliament elections by insisting that work on the new facility was on track, just days before voters went to the polls.

The Nationalists even dismissed local concerns about the project being watered down when challenged by the MoS two months ago, insisting the fears were ‘nonsense’ and ‘scaremongering’.

Mr Logue said: ‘Angela Constance has openly stated that she wants a “formal reset” to the project – in effect a complete cancellation.

‘Over £100 million has been spent on land assembly, which has involved moving tons of earth based on specific drawings which are no longer relevant. Undoubtedly this will lead to legal challenges by the approved contractors with immediate implications for around 300 workers currently on site.’

He said the council had been planning a £185 million link road to improve access to the new hospital and boost the economy around it, which had already incurred ‘considerable costs’.

An Instagram video posted before the election by Neil Gray from the site of the new hospital, with John Swinney praising the now-abandoned £2.1bn Monklands project

He added: ‘All of this could now result in abortive spend which could lead to North Lanarkshire Council giving serious consideration to taking legal action against the Scottish Government.’

Plans to replace the decrepit 50-year-old hospital have been in development for almost a decade. A full business case was submitted to ministers before Christmas after a preliminary proposal was approved.

But 30 minutes before Holyrood closed last Thursday, Ms Constance announced that the project was now unaffordable and would need a ‘comprehensive redesign’.

Sources close to the decision said NHS Lanarkshire chief executive Louise Long was only informed ‘about an hour’ before her announcement.

They said: ‘It’s disrespectful, disgraceful and not the way to run a functioning government. It has left many people at NHS Lanarkshire absolutely furious.’

The scandal over the scrapped replacement project has prompted calls for former health secretary Neil Gray, whose constituency covers Monklands, to resign.

Before the election the First Minister joined Mr Gray in an Instagram video at the site of the planned new hospital in Wester Moffat. Surrounded by supporters holding signs saying ‘Choose protecting the NHS’ and ‘Re-elect Neil Gray’, Mr Swinney said: ‘I’m delighted that work has started on the Monklands Hospital. We need to make sure more of this development happens with both votes SNP.’

Scottish Labour’s candidate Suzanne Macleod lost out on a Holyrood seat to Mr Gray and was one of those challenging the SNP on the Monklands proposals.

She said local people had been raising the issue on the campaign trail, fearing the Nationalists were going to renege on their promise after failing to approve the final project before the election.

When the MoS asked the SNP to respond to her concerns in April, a spokesman said any suggestion the project would be watered down was ‘untrue and desperate nonsense’ and ‘scaremongering’.

A mock-up of what the replacement hospital facility was intended to look like

Ms Macleod has joined former SNP health secretary Alex Neil in calling for Mr Gray to quit.

She said: ‘I am beyond angry. The people of Airdrie, Shotts and across Lanarkshire have been promised a new hospital for years.

‘When I challenged the SNP in April they claimed it was “in the manifesto” and had been budgeted for. Neil Gray decided to hoodwink the electorate to protect his own career. I believe he secured a victory under false pretences. I am now calling on the Scottish Government to ensure it is built as a matter of urgency.’

Miles Briggs, Scottish Conservative health spokesman, said: ‘The SNP’s behaviour has been cynical and dishonest. Neil Gray, having straightforwardly deceived his constituents, should be considering his position. It adds insult to injury that it now looks likely to land the taxpayer with yet another huge bill.’

A Scottish Government spokesman said ministers were ‘fully committed’ to a replacement ‘at the Wester Moffat site’, but added: ‘The £2.1 billion cost of the current design would not deliver value for money and would equate to around £5 million per hospital bed.’

He said preparatory work ‘has provided a clear understanding of the costs, risks and requirements’ – but did not respond when asked why NHS Lanarkshire was only notified of the decision an hour before it was announced.

NHS Lanarkshire said: ‘We are disappointed that we cannot continue with the current plans for a new Monklands hospital, but we welcome the Scottish Government’s continued commitment to delivering a replacement.’

Схожие новости

#Наименование новостиТональностьИнформативностьДата публикации
1SNP's 'cover-up and lies' over £2billion Monklands hospital which NHS said was too expensive012.501-08-2026
2Taxpayers to foot eye-watering £170m bill to fix SNP hospital hit by UK's worst infections scandal016.7608-08-2026
3John Swinney accused of being 'terrified' as he desperately tries to shut down probe into the SNP's finances04.5409-06-2026
4What is the SNP trying to hide? John Swinney 'running scared' after joint probe into Murrell scandal ruled out... but the affair is not over yet05.1802-07-2026
5John Swinney under fire after claiming cancer ward for high-risk patients at troubled hospital was 'safe'09.8625-06-2026
6SNP is 'bankrupting Scotland' with a massive benefits bill that has soared by a massive £2.3billion in ONE year05.1830-06-2026
7Trans prisoner policy is ruled unlawful... but it's cost the taxpayer £400k to find out!09.2320-06-2026
8Even SNP MP admits: Hats off to Tories on by-election victory... their message on oil and gas was strong09.121-06-2026
9Concern as state-owned bank launched by SNP set to lose £110m of taxpayer cash015.5717-08-2026
10John Swinney's World Cup jolly cost the taxpayer almost £100k09.8119-08-2026

Классификация: Международные. Схожих патентов: 0. Схожих новостей: 10. Тональность: 0. Информативность: 9.86. Источник: www.dailymail.co.uk.