Вход на сайт

Просмотр новости

Найдите то, что Вас интересует

$10million fund raised for firefighters by comedian Celeste Barber has not yet reached RFS families

Дата публикации: 03-09-2022 02:25:58

A huge recovery fund for injured volunteers and the families of fallen firefighters in the Black Summer bushfires has laid untouched for three years as NSW politicians point fingers of blame.

Основное содержимое страницы с новостью.

'Not a cent': Millions of dollars raised for firefighters by comedian Celeste Barber during Australia's devastating 2019 bushfires has failed to reach those who need the money
  • Families of fire crews killed in Black Summer yet to see money raised for them
  • Celeste Barber helped raise $51million during the catastrophic fire season
  • At least $10million is earmarked for volunteer victims but has yet to reach them 
  • Legal processes have been blamed for a two-and-a-half year funding delay
  • NSW Labor MPs grilled the state government on how it had taken so long so far
  • See more Daily Mail on Google - save us as a Preferred Source

By MAX ALDRED, NEWS REPORTER, AUSTRALIA

Published: 22:25 EDT, 2 September 2022 | Updated: 22:25 EDT, 2 September 2022

Bureaucratic wrangling has prevented injured firefighters and families of the fallen from 2019's Black Summer bushfires from seeing 'a single cent' of a $10million fund raised by Aussie comedian Celeste Barber nearly three years ago.

Legal and administrative processes have been blamed for the delay, as detailed at a NSW budget estimates hearing on Friday. 

Barber's online call-out at the height of the raging fires across Australia in 2019 raised $51million for victims.

The money was originally only allowed to be spent by the Rural Fire Service on equipment and training, as per a deed governing the New South Wales RFS trust.

A court later ruled $10million of money raised could also be given to the families of lost firefighters and injured firemen.  

Stoic Aussie firefighters (pictured) injured in the Black Summer bushfires are yet to see the proceeds of a donation drive set up by Celeste Barber, as detailed at a NSW budget estimates hearing on Friday

Celeste Barber (pictured) raised more than $51million for the Rural Fire Service in donations after a call-out at the height of the bushfires, but trust legalities have meant less money will reach the families of fire crews and volunteers affected by the fires

The RFS set aside the sum in a fund specifically for firefighter victims and their families.

On Friday NSW government budget estimates heard that despite the deaths of four volunteers and the injuring of 860 firefighters during the 2019 and 2022 summer, none of the money had moved from the fund. 

State Labor MPs grilled the then-Minister for Resilience Steph Cooke, asking her why, in nearly three years, 'not a cent' of the millions had reached those who needed it. 

Australia's harrowing Black Summer bushfires saw more than 800 RFS firefighters injured and four volunteers die (Pictured, Fire and Rescue crews battle to save their truck from a raging fire at Bilpin, NSW in 2019)

'We will continue to work on its establishment and the distribution of funds,' Ms Cooke said.

'It's important that we set this fund up correctly right from the get go.' 

Labor MP Mark Buttigieg said it wasn't acceptable the fund had taken so long to form.

'We are now in August 2022, two-and-a-half years after the fund was approved, and not a single cent has gone to those families,' he said.

'You've got deaths, you've got injuries, you've got a woman who has gone out of her way to raise $51 million, $10 million of it which was hypothecated to the families, and we've had not one single cent gone to those families.

'Have we only just got the governance in place for this fund?' 

RFS Commissioner Rob Rogers said he wanted the fund to be looking after volunteers for years to come, planning a Police Legacy style 'Benevolent Fund'. 

The state government is hoping the fund will be established by the end of the year.

The RFS Commissioner Rob Rogers is hoping to set up a fund in the style of Police Legacy to support firefighting victims in the future (Pictured, 2019's fires in Batlow, NSW)

Схожие новости

#Наименование новостиТональностьИнформативностьДата публикации
1What really happened to Celeste Barber's $110million donation to Australia's firefighters - and where all the money actually went08.325-12-2023
2Comedian Celeste Barber disables Instagram comments after throwing support behind Yes vote for Voice to Parliament referendum04.6815-09-2023
3Celeste Barber to take aim at her favourite celebrity targets in one-hour Netflix comedy special07.9717-11-2022
4Celeste Barber strips down to white bikini before dangling from a trapeze to film in Sydney09.3419-11-2022
5Celeste Barber puts on a sophisticated display in a yellow suit as she joins an elegant Sarah Roberts at the Sydney premiere of her new movie Runt08.2114-09-2024
6Власти Австралии выделят порядка $35 млн на восстановление природы после пожаров0013-01-2020
7The ridiculous reason Celeste Barber is called a hypocrite and is slammed for posting this topless photo while getting ready for the Logies06.8230-07-2023
8Comedian Celeste Barber shares sad confession as she reveals how she has been forced to relive childhood trauma06.9421-05-2025
9Comedian Celeste Barber looks stylish in a silk ensemble as she joins Chloe Hayden, Francesca Hung and Camilla Franks at Marie Claire 2023 Power Talks event in Sydney08.3105-10-2023

Классификация: Сибирь. Схожих патентов: 0. Схожих новостей: 9. Тональность: 0. Информативность: 6.82. Источник: www.dailymail.co.uk.