Вход на сайт

Просмотр новости

Найдите то, что Вас интересует

Details confirmed for Ryan Garcia's world title shot against Mario Barrios after controversial two-year stretch

Дата публикации: 13-01-2026 08:04:08

Ryan Garciawill attempt to win the first world title of his career when he challenges WBC welterweight champion Mario Barrios on February 21 in Las Vegas.

Основное содержимое страницы с новостью.

By CHARLOTTE DALY, MULTIMEDIA CONTENT REPORTER

Published: 02:58 EDT, 13 January 2026 | Updated: 03:04 EDT, 13 January 2026

Ryan Garcia will attempt to win the first world title of his career when he challenges WBC welterweight champion Mario Barrios on February 21 in Las Vegas

The highly anticipated bout will headline The Ring: High Stakes card at T-Mobile Arena and will stream live on DAZN, organisers announced Monday evening.

Garcia, one of boxing's most recognisable stars, enters the fight following a chaotic two-year stretch marked by controversy, suspension and defeats. 

The 27-year-old American star appeared to revive his career in April 2024 when he stunned Devin Haney, beating him by majority decision. 

The result was later overturned to a no contest after Garcia tested positive for the banned substance Ostarine in a VADA drug test taken the day before the fight.

Three months later, the World Boxing Council expelled Garcia from its rankings after he posted racial slurs on social media.

Ryan Garciawill attempt to win the first world title of his career when he challenges WBC welterweight champion Mario Barrios on February 21 in Las Vegas

The 27-year-old American star appeared to revive his career in April 2024 when he stunned Devin Haney, beating him by majority decision

The highly anticipated bout will headline The Ring: High Stakes card at T-Mobile Arena and will stream live on DAZN, Turki Alalshikh announced Monday evening

He returned to the ring earlier this year in the main event of a Times Square boxing card against Rolando 'Rolly' Romero, but was knocked down and lost by unanimous decision.

Garcia (24-2, 20 KOs) has not won a fight since knocking out Oscar Duarte in 2023, has yet to record a victory at welterweight, and owns a 1-2 record with one no contest since 2022.

Despite that, the WBC lifted his suspension in November 2025, allowing talks to proceed for a title fight - which has now been confirmed.

'I will be world champion on February 21st,' Garcia said in a statement following the announcement of The Ring: High Stakes card. 

Barrios (29-2-2, 18 KOs), who fights out of San Antonio, won the vacant WBC interim title in 2023 by defeating Yordenis Ugas.

He was elevated to full champion in May 2024 after Terence Crawford vacated the belt to move up in weight.

But the 29-year-old has yet to win a fight since becoming champion.

He fought to a split draw against Abel Ramos in November 2024 on the undercard of Jake Paul's bout with Mike Tyson, then escaped with a controversial majority draw against Manny Pacquiao last July. 

Garcia returned to the ring earlier this year in the main event of a Times Square boxing card against Rolando 'Rolly' Romero, but was knocked down and lost by unanimous decision

Barrios escaped with a controversial majority draw against Manny Pacquiao last July

The only defeats of Barrios' professional career have come against former world champions Keith Thurman and Gervonta Davis.

'San Antonio built me, and every sacrifice I've made comes with me into that ring,' Barrios said. 'This is my division, my time, and I'm ready to show the world why the WBC title stays right here.' 

Схожие новости

#Наименование новостиТональностьИнформативностьДата публикации
1Devin Haney vs Ryan Garcia: How to watch, start time and full undercard as the rivals are set to clash despite Garcia missing weight and losing out on title shot and $1.5m pay day06.2320-04-2024
2Ryan Garcia lifts the lid on his chaotic year, jail stint, mental-health spiral and £15m Jake Paul offer as he vows to destroy Barrios and chase a Rolly Romero rematch07.0101-12-2025
3Ryan Garcia's return from his drugs ban is announced - with controversial star set to feature on the same card as bitter rival Devin Haney09.2328-02-2025
4 Ryan García, el nuevo campeón del CMB tras ganar por decisión unánime a Mario Barrios 0522-02-2026
5George Kambosos and boxing bad boy Ryan Garcia in vicious war of words as American makes disgraceful comment about Aussie fighter's wife06.4613-05-2024
6Former undisputed lightweight champion Devin Haney reveals why he is NOT in new boxing video game... after suffering controversial first professional loss against Ryan Garcia08.1518-05-2024
7Ryan Garcia questions Canelo Alvarez's 'intensity' ahead of Terence Crawford clash and points to a decline06.1212-09-2025
8Ryan Garcia slams 'dumb f***' Eddie Hearn as he brands the Matchroom boss 'FAKE' and accuses him of 'turning his back' on Devin Haney following their fight in April09.5330-09-2024
9Oscar De La Hoya drops his foot in it and has to be saved by Ryan Garcia during a HILARIOUS exchange at the press conference for his comeback fight after a year-long suspension07.5605-03-2025
10Ryan Garcia CHARGED with vandalism and could face one year behind bars after alleged meltdown at five-star LA hotel09.631-07-2024

Классификация: Спорт. Схожих патентов: 0. Схожих новостей: 10. Тональность: 0. Информативность: 11.99. Источник: www.dailymail.co.uk.