Вход на сайт

Просмотр новости

Найдите то, что Вас интересует

Northern Ireland’s UUP health minister quits with swipe at his party leader

Дата публикации: 19-08-2026 07:07:41

Resignation follows fallout between Mike Nesbitt and Jon Burrows over policy on Causeway Hospital in Co Derry

Основное содержимое страницы с новостью.

Ulster Unionist leader Jon Burrows has criticised how health service reform is being implemented in Northern Ireland after his own party’s minister for the sector quit amid a row with him.

Health minister Mike Nesbitt resigned on Tuesday after a fallout with Burrows over the proposed withdrawal of emergency general surgery from Causeway Hospital in Coleraine, Co Derry.

The dispute flared after Burrows stated at a town hall meeting that he was against the plan recommended by health trust bosses.

In a hard-hitting resignation letter, Nesbitt said he was not going to be a minister who learned about his party leader’s views on key issues through the media.

READ MORE

In a statement on Wednesday, Burrows thanked Nesbitt for his service as minister.

“He took on arguably the hardest job in government and approached it with seriousness, integrity and a determination to improve our health service,” he said.

“The direction he set on reform, on tackling health inequalities and on driving down waiting lists was the right one, and that work will continue.

“I will be discussing the health brief with party colleagues over the coming days and expect to confirm a nomination soon.

“Whoever takes on the role will have the full backing of the Ulster Unionist Party and our Assembly team.

“The immediate priority remains putting patients first: reducing waiting lists and improving access to GPs, wait times in A & E, diagnostics, treatment and surgery right across Northern Ireland.

“Important work is already under way and a change of minister will not interrupt it.”

Nesbitt posted a copy of his resignation letter, dated August 18th, to Mr Burrows on X in which the details of their row is laid bare.

He wrote that Burrows gave him a “red line” initially over his opposition to puberty blockers, but had recently introduced a second red line on his stance over the Causeway Hospital.

“When you became leader, you informed me, with your hallmark clarity, that when it came to health, you had but one ‘red line’, namely puberty blockers and your opposition to Northern Ireland participating in the Pathways trial,” he stated.

“I accepted that, even though our engagement with Pathways was the price of securing the Executive’s agreement to join GB’s ban on blockers, something most observers thought impossible to achieve.

“Many Executive colleagues will rightly feel betrayed by my U-turn.

“This letter concerns the fact you appear to have introduced a second ‘red line’, regarding emergency general surgery at Causeway Hospital.

“I am not the sort of minister who is happy to discover the leader’s view of issues under my purview by having to monitor the media.

“Yesterday (Monday), I offered you a way to manage this situation.

“As I have not received a timely response, and given the shock waves you have created in the HSC system, this matter needs resolved.

“Being Minister of Health remains the greatest privilege of my political career.

“It is, therefore, with no little regret that I have composed this letter of resignation.”

Nesbitt was twice UUP leader, from 2013 to 2017 and from 2024 until earlier this year when Burrows was appointed. He had been health minister since 2024.

In the resignation letter, Nesbitt thanked Burrows for agreeing to be co-opted as a North Antrim MLA after the election of Robin Swann to Westminster.

“Bringing you into Stormont is on me, as is my decision to stand down as party leader, opening the opportunity for you to mount a successful campaign to take the role,” he wrote.

“Previously, I held the record for the shortest time between becoming an MLA and assuming the leadership, but you proved I was only playing at it. Congratulations!”

Nesbitt was first elected as an MLA in 2011 after a high-profile broadcasting career and he was also commissioner for victims and survivors.

Sinn Féin first minister Michelle O’Neill said she was “genuinely sorry” to see Nesbitt resign, describing him having “played a constructive and mature part in the Executive and was making welcome progress in reducing waiting lists”.

DUP deputy first minister Emma Little-Pengelly thanked Nesbitt for “positive engagement on a range of issues, particularly on health waiting lists”, adding “whoever steps in must continue this important work of transformation”. – PA

Схожие новости

#Наименование новостиТональностьИнформативностьДата публикации
1Why did the UUP’s Mike Nesbitt resign as Northern Ireland’s minister for health?08.7919-08-2026
2UUP leader Jon Burrows to name North’s new health minister on Thursday09.2519-08-2026
3TWO MORE Cabinet ministers QUIT: NI secretary Brandon Lewis and Helen Whately06.3107-07-2022
4Глава Минздрава Армении подал в отставку0018-01-2021
5Лидер юнионистов Северной Ирландии заявил о своей отставке0017-06-2021
6Глава Минздрава Великобритании объявил, что подает в отставку0026-06-2021
7NI's agriculture minister says he has been assaulted amid row over controversial cattle cull08.0114-08-2026
8Глава Крыма принял отставку министра здравоохранения0029-09-2021
9Reuters: министр по вопросам Brexit уходит в отставку0015-11-2018
10Врио главы Башкирии принял отставку министра здравоохранения региона0015-10-2018

Классификация: Информация. Схожих патентов: 0. Схожих новостей: 10. Тональность: 0. Информативность: 10. Источник: www.irishtimes.com.