Вход на сайт

Просмотр новости

Найдите то, что Вас интересует

Man detained in Guthrie case files notice of claim against Pima County Sheriff's Department

Дата публикации: 30-07-2026 20:46:10

A man detained and released during the Nancy Guthrie disappearance investigation, along with two family members, is seeking $3.25 million from Pima County.

Основное содержимое страницы с новостью.

A man who was detained and later released by Pima County Sheriff's deputies for "kidnapping" Nancy Guthrie says he wants the sheriff's department to clear his name.

Man detained in Nancy Guthrie case wants his name cleared

TUCSON, AZ — A man detained and released during the Nancy Guthrie disappearance investigation, along with two family members, is seeking $3.25 million from Pima County.

A Phoenix law firm filed a notice of claim against the Pima County Sheriff's Department, Sheriff Chris Nanos, and Detective Earl Gieron on behalf of three people who say they were wrongfully targeted during the investigation into the disappearance of 84-year-old Nancy Guthrie.

The claim, filed this week, seeks a combined $3.25 million on behalf of Carlos Palazuelos, Josefina Maddox, and Daniel Maddox.

Carlos Palazuelos is seeking $2.5 million. The claim says he was arrested at gunpoint on February 10, 2026, and held for approximately seven to eight hours before being released without charges. Daniel Maddox is seeking $500,000. He was handcuffed and held under armed guard outside the family home during the same incident according to the claim. Josefina Maddox, the homeowner, is seeking $250,000 for property damage the claim says deputies caused while executing a search warrant at her home.

The law firm Robbins Curtin Millea & Showalter filed the claim on the family's behalf.

"Like he himself had been kidnapped"

According to the claim, deputies followed Carlos before stopping him. When he pulled over to determine why he was being followed, officers pointed guns at him and placed him under arrest. He was held in the back of a patrol vehicle while deputies executed a search warrant at the Rio Rico home.

The claim states Carlos was asked to provide his name, date of birth, and Social Security number, and that deputies seized his cell phone and driver's license. He was released later that day without being charged.

He spoke exclusively at the scene with ABC15.

The claim describes the experience as leaving Carlos feeling "as though he himself had been kidnapped." It also states that since his detention, Carlos and his family have been followed and photographed by members of the public, which the claim attributes to his public association with the Guthrie investigation.

Carlos previously spoke exclusively with ABC15 about the impact on his family.

"People taking pictures of us or following us. Like yesterday, we went out dashing and we got home and there was this red truck following us. This morning it was there too, so it's been kind of scary for me and for my wife, my kids and everybody," Carlos said.

Warrant based on "false or baseless evidence," claim alleges

The notice of claim alleges the search warrant was obtained through a secret application based on "false or baseless evidence" and that the PCSD "lacked probable cause to believe that Carlos had committed any crime" at all times.

The warrant application remains under seal according to the notice of claim.

The claim also alleges that on the day of the arrest, Sheriff Nanos posted on X that deputies had "detained a subject during a traffic stop south of Tucson" who was "being questioned in connection to the Nancy Guthrie investigation." PCSD personnel also told media that Carlos was a "person of interest" in the case, according to the claim.

The claim alleges those statements were intended to communicate to the public that Carlos was a suspect in Guthrie's disappearance, and that Sheriff Nanos and the PCSD have since refused to retract them or publicly clear Carlos' name.

Attorney Jesse Showalter said the family wants accountability.

"And now they're living day-to-day, they're living in fear, and so the first thing that I'd like to see is Sheriff Nanos and the Pima County Sheriff's Office come forward and say, 'Carlos, this was a mistake. Carlos is not a person of interest. He is not an investigative lead. We messed up. We need to see some accountability obviously,'” Showalter previously told ABC15.

Under Arizona law, the settlement offers must remain open for 60 days before they can be deemed rejected.

This story was reported on-air by a journalist and has been converted to this platform with the assistance of AI. Our editorial team verifies all reporting on all platforms for fairness and accuracy.

Want more news in your community? Add ABC15 as a preferred source on Google below:

Null

liveplayerbanner1.png

Схожие новости

#Наименование новостиТональностьИнформативностьДата публикации
1Six months into Nancy Guthrie search, sheriff says case is 'not even close' to cold01001-08-2026
2Pima County sheriff says Nancy Guthrie investigation is 'very active'08.2601-08-2026
3Tucson man files claim alleging deputies ignored swatting warnings before shooting left him paralyzed05.9429-07-2026
4Family pleads for answers after sister vanishes in Pinal County more than a month ago04.4423-07-2026
5FBI says some Nancy Guthrie ransom notes 'may potentially be legitimate'0502-07-2026
6Two nightmarish ransom notes sent to Savannah Guthrie are released in full by sheriff, with second offering chilling details on how 84-year-old Nancy DIED shortly after her abduction07.2431-07-2026
7YouTubers busted near Guthrie house: Sheriff cracks down after rampant disruptions015.6109-06-2026
8'We never intended to hurt her.' Ransom notes offer new details in Nancy Guthrie kidnapping case07.5431-07-2026
9Alguacil del condado de Pima publica notas de rescate de Nancy Guthrie03.4631-07-2026
10Ransom notes in Nancy Guthrie case are fake as sheriff faces backlash05.1501-07-2026

Классификация: Происшествия. Схожих патентов: 0. Схожих новостей: 10. Тональность: 0. Информативность: 9.82. Источник: www.abc15.com.