Вход на сайт

Просмотр новости

Найдите то, что Вас интересует

Hannah Pingree dominates fundraising in Maine governor’s race

Дата публикации: 22-07-2026 14:32:18

The Democrat has raised more money than both her opponents, Republican Bobby Charles and independent Rick Bennett, combined.

Основное содержимое страницы с новостью.

Democratic gubernatorial candidate and former Speaker of the House Hannah Pingree speaks to reporters during a news conference in Hallowell's Granite City Park in April. (Joe Phelan/Staff Photographer)

Hannah Pingree has raised more money in the Maine governor’s race than both of her opponents combined, in another sign the Democrat may be the best positioned to win in November.

Pingree, a former speaker of the Maine House of Representatives and official in Gov. Janet Mills’ administration, has raised more than $3 million since getting in the race last summer, according to newly filed campaign finance reports.

Republican Bobby Charles has raised $1.3 million while independent Rick Bennett has raised just under $800,000. About $100,000 of Pingree’s money comes from loans from her and her husband; Charles has loaned his campaign $220,000. 

The latest campaign finance reports were due to the state Tuesday and cover May 27 to July 14. Pingree also led in fundraising during that period, raising around $900,000 compared to $217,000 for Charles and $114,000 for Bennett. 

She ended the period with $850,000 in cash on hand, while Charles had $180,000 and Bennett, $94,000. 

The reports come as Pingree has also led polling in the race. A June poll from the New York Times, Portland Press Herald and Siena University found Pingree with a double-digit lead over Charles. Fifty percent of likely voters indicated they would support her, compared to 36% for Charles and 8% for Bennett.

A University of New Hampshire Survey Center poll released Tuesday had Pingree with 49% support among likely voters, Charles with 35% and 6% for Bennett. Nine percent were undecided or said they would vote for another candidate. 

Pingree won last month’s Democratic primary with 56% of the vote over former public health official Nirav Shah in the final round of a ranked-choice runoff. She was endorsed by Mills, who is term-limited, and is running on a platform that includes addressing the affordability concerns of Maine people. 

“I’ve been traveling this state since day one, and what I hear over and over is that people can’t afford housing, can’t afford health care, and they’re tired of waiting on Washington to fix it,” Pingree said in a written statement. “That’s what I’m focused on. This kind of support, from every corner of Maine, tells me people are ready for a governor who will actually deliver, and I’m going to keep earning it all the way to November.” 

Pingree also has an advantage when it comes to outside spending. Pine Tree State Prosperity, a national group affiliated with the Democratic Governors Association, has booked $11 million in ad spending in the Maine governor’s race for this fall, according to the advertising tracker AdImpact. No Republican groups have made similar commitments.

And she is continuing to benefit from spending by the Maine Conservation Voters Action Fund, an environmental group that has spent more than $600,000 on her behalf.

On Wednesday she was endorsed by Planned Parenthood’s political advocacy arm at a press conference where Nicole Clegg, the group’s president and CEO, said her organization has “invested heavily” in past gubernatorial elections and plans to do so again this year. Clegg did not put a dollar figure on how much Planned Parenthood plans to spend on the race.

Bennett and Charles have also seen some spending by outside groups on their behalf, but not to the same extent as Pingree.

Maine Wins Together, a political action committee supporting Bennett, has spent around $45,000. The group is largely funded by philanthropist Paul Coulombe and by Sandra and Gary Bahre, the wife and son of Bob Bahre, former owner of the Oxford Plains Speedway. Democrats have called on Bennett to denounce the group because the same donors have given to Paul LePage and the Maine Republican Party.

Reclaim Maine, a political action committee supporting Charles, has spent $60,000 to date.

Rachel covers state government and politics for the Portland Press Herald. It’s her third beat at the paper after stints covering City Hall and education. Prior to her arrival at the Press Herald in... More by Rachel Ohm

Post navigation

Схожие новости

#Наименование новостиТональностьИнформативностьДата публикации
1Pingree, Bennett agree to 4 debates in Maine governor’s race039.0921-07-2026
2Maine teachers union endorses Hannah Pingree for governor034.5306-08-2026
32 more drop out of Maine Senate race043.3620-07-2026
4Is ranked-choice voting used in Maine’s general election for governor? | Fact brief0501-07-2026
5A megadonor from Illinois spent big in Maine politics this year and came up empty036.4317-08-2026
6Who could replace Graham Platner in Maine’s Senate race? Here are the names being floated.0507-07-2026
7National Democrats are trying to flip these Maine legislative districts this year038.8206-08-2026
8Here’s where Maine’s candidates for governor stand on key issues0801-07-2026
9Democrats crown Troy Jackson with a show in Bangor, and few surprises035.9125-07-2026
10House Speaker Mike Johnson calls Paul LePage ‘one of the most qualified’ House candidates in history03817-08-2026

Классификация: . Схожих патентов: 0. Схожих новостей: 10. Тональность: 0. Информативность: 40.87. Источник: www.pressherald.com.