The following is the first summary of major stories moved by Yonhap News Agency ...
The following is the first summary of major stories moved by Yonhap News Agency on Tuesday.
-----------------
■ (2nd LD) Lee reaffirms push to retake wartime operational control of troops during his term
SEOUL -- President Lee Jae Myung on Tuesday reaffirmed his commitment to regaining wartime operational control (OPCON) of troops from the United States before his term ends, stressing the importance of self-reliant defense capabilities.
The president reiterated the commitment during a Cabinet meeting, saying the OPCON transfer should be completed during his term, which will end in 2030, as the government initially planned.
https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20260818003951315?section=national/politics
President Lee Jae Myung attends a Cabinet meeting on Aug. 18, 2026. (Pool photo) (Yonhap)
-----------------
■ (LEAD) Trump says N. Korea's Kim has responded to his dialogue overture
WASHINGTON -- U.S. President Donald Trump said Monday that North Korean leader Kim Jong-un has responded to his overture for dialogue, a day after he unveiled his order to "substantially" reduce South Korea-U.S. military exercises in what was seen as a conciliatory gesture toward Pyongyang.
Trump made the remarks during a press availability at the White House amid speculation that his directive on the allied exercises could create room for the resumption of dialogue with Pyongyang, though uncertainty remains over whether the North could return to diplomacy amid deepening cooperation with Moscow.
https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20260818000651315?section=national/diplomacy
-----------------
■ (LEAD) State Dept. reiterates U.S. remains open to dialogue with N. Korea 'without preconditions'
WASHINGTON -- The Department of State reiterated Monday that the United States remains open to talks with North Korea "without preconditions," a day after President Donald Trump said he has ordered the Pentagon to reduce South Korea-U.S. military exercises in what appears to be a conciliatory gesture toward Pyongyang.
"President Trump has made clear, the United States remains open to dialogue with North Korea without preconditions," a spokesperson at the department said.
https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20260818000951315?section=national/diplomacy
-----------------
■ Seoul shares trim earlier gains late Tue. morning as investors lock in gains
SEOUL -- Seoul shares trimmed earlier gains late Tuesday morning on profit-taking amid fading hopes for a deal to end the war between the United States and Iran.
After opening 2 percent higher, the benchmark Korea Composite Stock Price Index (KOSPI) pared its gains to trade 48.32 points, or 0.69 percent, higher at 7,026.26 as of 11:20 a.m.
https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20260818005000320?section=economy-finance/economy
-----------------
■ Over 2,500 damage cases reported due to heavy rain in southeastern region
SEOUL -- More than 2,500 damage cases have been reported due to record-breaking downpours in the southeastern region, authorities said Tuesday.
A total of 2,574 reports had been filed as of 6 a.m. Tuesday over cases including home and road inundation and toppled trees, as the heavy rain battered South Gyeongsang Province and neighboring regions from Saturday, according to the Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasures Headquarters. Rescue operations accounted for 162 of the cases.
https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20260818002100315?section=national/national
-----------------
■ (2nd LD) Pentagon says it is 'actively working on executing' Trump's directive on S. Korea-U.S. military drills
WASHINGTON -- A Pentagon official said Monday that the U.S. Defense Department is "actively" working on executing U.S. President Donald Trump's directive on South Korea-U.S. military exercises, a day after Trump said he has ordered the Pentagon to "substantially" reduce the allies' drills.
In a social media post, Trump said he has instructed Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth to scale back the joint military exercises in what was seen as a conciliatory gesture toward North Korea, just as Seoul and Washington kicked off their annual Ulchi Freedom Shield (UFS) exercise in South Korea.
https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20260818000252315?section=national/diplomacy
-----------------
■ Actor Yoo Ah-in to return to big screen in director Jang Jae-hyun's occult thriller
SEOUL -- Actor Yoo Ah-in will return to the big screen in director Jang Jae-hyun's upcoming mystery occult thriller "Vampir," three years after allegations emerged that he had habitually used illegal drugs.
The film's local distributor, NEW, on Tuesday announced the cast for the film, including Yoo.
https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20260818003800315
(END)
| # | Наименование новости | Тональность | Информативность | Дата публикации |
|---|---|---|---|---|
| 1 | Top headlines in major S. Korean newspapers | 0 | 9.48 | 17-08-2026 |
| 2 | Top headlines in major S. Korean newspapers | 0 | 9.48 | 17-08-2026 |
| 3 | Trump-Kim summit could boost peace on Korean Peninsula: Seoul official | 0 | 16.28 | 18-08-2026 |
| 4 | سرخط خبرها ۲:۰۰ | 0 | 8.1 | 16-08-2026 |
| 5 | سرخط خبرها ۱۱:۰۰ | 0 | 8.1 | 16-08-2026 |
| 6 | Yonhap: линии связи КНДР с Южной Кореей восстановили | 0 | 0 | 04-10-2021 |
| 7 | Gov't provides 9.26 mln won worth of social services per household in 2024 | 0 | 22.29 | 18-08-2026 |
| 8 | سرخط خبرها ۱۰:۰۰ | 0 | 8.1 | 16-08-2026 |
| 9 | Yonhap: Южная Корея вернула в КНДР шесть граждан народной республики | 0 | 0 | 09-07-2025 |
| 10 | Yonhap: Ким Чен Ын отложил план применения военных действий в отношении Южной Кореи | 0 | 0 | 24-06-2020 |