Вход на сайт

Просмотр новости

Найдите то, что Вас интересует

Shabbat Terror: Man attacks worshippers at NYC synagogue

Дата публикации: 15-08-2026 17:56:00

A Bronx man faces hate crime charges after disrupting Shabbat services at Manhattan’s Central Synagogue, injuring a woman and attacking a security guard.

Основное содержимое страницы с новостью.

Man in custody after disrupting Shabbat services, striking woman at Central Synagogue

A 46-year-old Bronx man disrupted the service at a NYC synagogue on Friday night when he damaged synagogue property and attacked a member of the synagogue’s security team while being escorted from the building. NYPD Commissioner Jessica Tisch said Montes spat at and headbutted the security officer. The suspect, identified as Larry Montes, has been arrested and charged with multiple hate crimes.

The incident sparked panic among congregants as the man shouted and moved down the aisle. A security guard eventually restrained him. A 63-year-old woman suffered a small cut to her lip and injuries to her right forearm after being struck, according to the NYPD. “He was screaming and yelling. I heard a loud pop. We thought it was a gun," congregant Susan Roane told WCBS. Another congregant, Arlynn Greenbaum, said the man was “ranting and raving and yelling" and appeared to be “very full of hate."

Montes was charged with two counts of assault as a hate crime and one count of criminal mischief as a hate crime, along with additional charges, Tisch said. The precise motivation for the incident remains unclear. New York Mayor Zohran Mamdani condemned the incident and said Jewish New Yorkers must be able to practice their religion without fear of violence. “This despicable act has no place in our city, and our administration will do everything in our power to keep Jewish New Yorkers safe," Mamdani said. "Our administration will always stand against bigotry in all its forms," Mamdani said. “We will use every tool at our disposal to confront antisemitism and keep Jewish New Yorkers - and all New Yorkers - safe."

Tisch said she had spoken with the synagogue’s rabbi and was relieved that no one had been seriously injured. Central Synagogue said it was grateful for the support it received following what it described as a “disturbing" incident. “We will keep on gathering for joyful, meaningful Judaism with our Central family every week," the synagogue said.

During Saturday morning’s Shabbat service, cantor Jenna Pearsall described the previous night as “really hard and scary" and led a healing prayer for the community. Rabbi Andrew Kaplan Mandel opened the service by assuring congregants that they were safe and expressing gratitude to the synagogue’s security team. “Our day of rest was interrupted last night by a security incident in our main sanctuary, but we are OK. We are safe. We are grateful to be here. We won’t allow anyone to rob us of our attention on Shabbat."

New York Governor Kathy Hochul also condemned the incident, calling it “appalling." “Jewish New Yorkers have every right to worship openly, proudly, and without fear," Hochul said.

Israel’s Ambassador to the United Nations Danny Danon described the incident as antisemitic and warned that antisemitism remains a present threat.

“This is another chilling reminder that anti-Semitism does not belong in the past, it’s occurring here and now, in the heart of New York," Danon wrote.

Israeli Consul General in New York Ophir Akunis, referring to the serious incident that occurred at the Central Synagogue on Shabbat night, said:

Israeli Consul-General Ofir Akunis added, "The incident at the Central Synagogue in Manhattan is a direct result of Mayor Mammadani's consistent incitement campaign. I warned that words would turn into actions - and this, unfortunately, is exactly what is happening. Mammadani has failed to protect the Jews of New York! It is not enough to condemn; one must act.

Схожие новости

#Наименование новостиТональностьИнформативностьДата публикации
1Hate crime charges filed in Manhattan synagogue attack06.8715-08-2026
2В Центральной синагоге Нью-Йорка напали на прихожан: подозреваемого обвиняют в преступлении ненависти08.6115-08-2026
3Victim of vile antisemitic attack in NYC relives horrific moment hair was ripped out by maniac screaming: ‘Jews are eating kids’-10703-06-2026
4Maniac who stabbed 2 while screaming ‘Allahu Akbar’ indicted for NYC hate crime attack: DA010.3930-07-2026
5Crazed maniac hurls Molotov cocktails at two NYC churches — then goes on profane rant in shocking courtroom outburst-5709-07-2026
6Unhinged stranger shoves man into NYC train in terrifying random attack-8615-07-2026
7NYC subway shove victim recounts terrifying attack by unhinged stranger: ‘Nobody helped me’-2616-07-2026
8Staring contest on NYC train leads to rider getting shoved onto subway tracks05.9207-08-2026
9Мужчина напал на прохожих в Екатеринбурге, количество пострадавших уточняется0017-05-2021
10'Dangerous provocation': Satmar Rebbe sticks up for Mamdani07.9710-08-2026

Классификация: Происшествия. Схожих патентов: 0. Схожих новостей: 10. Тональность: 0. Информативность: 6.5. Источник: www.israelnationalnews.com.