Вход на сайт

Просмотр новости

Найдите то, что Вас интересует

Scores dead as Islamic State attacks military base in Somalia

Дата публикации: 11-02-2025 16:24:13

Nearly 100 people were killed and up to 60 others wounded when members of the Islamic State terror group launched a deadly attack on a military base belonging to security forces from Somalia’s Puntland region, officials said Tuesday.
At least 27 Puntland soldiers and more than 70 militants were slain in the fierce fighting around the Togga Jacel area of the Cal Miskaad mountains in Puntland’s Bari region, Puntland security officials told VOA.
In an interview Tuesday with VOA’s Somali Service, a spokesperson for Puntland security operations, Brigadier General Mohamud Mohamed Ahmed — known as  Fadhigo — said the militants waged suicide attacks on the military base late Monday.
“We have confirmed that at least 27 Puntland soldiers and 70 Islamic State militants, were killed during the attack and subsequent gun battle,” Ahmed said.
Ahmed said it was the deadliest attack since Puntland launched an offensive last month against Islamic State groups that have hideouts in the mountains.
He said the death toll from the attack could be substantially higher than official figures.
“The death toll, especially that of the militants, could be significantly higher than the number we have provided because they were killed in caves. They were hiding, and we are still assessing,” Ahmed said.
According to Puntland security officials, the militants using car bombs and suicide motorbikes launched attacks on the Puntland security base before a fierce gunbattle ensued.
“We knew they were coming as we had prior intelligence tip. They attacked us with car bombs and explosives-laden motorbikes, and then dozens of them engaged in a fierce gunbattle with our soldiers,” Ahmed said.
A statement from the Puntland forces said their troops repulsed the attack aimed at taking control of the base.
“Puntland security forces have successfully repelled the enemy attack, and they still remain in their base in Togga Jecel, dealing a significant blow to the extremist group,” the statement said.
On Wednesday last week, nearly 70 people were killed, and up to 50 others were wounded, during 24 hours of fighting between the two sides.
This latest attack is the deadliest the Islamic State militants have waged on Puntland soldiers.
Earlier this month, U.S. warplanes targeted the Islamic State affiliate in Somalia, hitting what officials described as high-ranking operatives in the terror group's mountainous stronghold.
U.S. President Donald Trump announced the airstrike on social media, describing the main target as a "Senior ISIS Attack Planner and other terrorists he recruited and led."
Puntland began a major offensive against Islamic State in December and claims to have since killed nearly 200 Islamic State fighters, dozens of them foreign fighters, and captured villages and bases in the mountainous area controlled by IS.
This story originated in VOA's Somali Service. Fadumo Yasin Jama contributed to the report.


Основное содержимое страницы с новостью.

Nearly 100 people were killed and up to 60 others wounded when members of the Islamic State terror group launched a deadly attack on a military base belonging to security forces from Somalia’s Puntland region, officials said Tuesday.

At least 27 Puntland soldiers and more than 70 militants were slain in the fierce fighting around the Togga Jacel area of the Cal Miskaad mountains in Puntland’s Bari region, Puntland security officials told VOA.

In an interview Tuesday with VOA’s Somali Service, a spokesperson for Puntland security operations, Brigadier General Mohamud Mohamed Ahmed — known as Fadhigo — said the militants waged suicide attacks on the military base late Monday.

“We have confirmed that at least 27 Puntland soldiers and 70 Islamic State militants, were killed during the attack and subsequent gun battle,” Ahmed said.

Ahmed said it was the deadliest attack since Puntland launched an offensive last month against Islamic State groups that have hideouts in the mountains.

He said the death toll from the attack could be substantially higher than official figures.

“The death toll, especially that of the militants, could be significantly higher than the number we have provided because they were killed in caves. They were hiding, and we are still assessing,” Ahmed said.

According to Puntland security officials, the militants using car bombs and suicide motorbikes launched attacks on the Puntland security base before a fierce gunbattle ensued.

“We knew they were coming as we had prior intelligence tip. They attacked us with car bombs and explosives-laden motorbikes, and then dozens of them engaged in a fierce gunbattle with our soldiers,” Ahmed said.

A statement from the Puntland forces said their troops repulsed the attack aimed at taking control of the base.

“Puntland security forces have successfully repelled the enemy attack, and they still remain in their base in Togga Jecel, dealing a significant blow to the extremist group,” the statement said.

On Wednesday last week, nearly 70 people were killed, and up to 50 others were wounded, during 24 hours of fighting between the two sides.

This latest attack is the deadliest the Islamic State militants have waged on Puntland soldiers.

Earlier this month, U.S. warplanes targeted the Islamic State affiliate in Somalia, hitting what officials described as high-ranking operatives in the terror group's mountainous stronghold.

U.S. President Donald Trump announced the airstrike on social media, describing the main target as a "Senior ISIS Attack Planner and other terrorists he recruited and led."

Puntland began a major offensive against Islamic State in December and claims to have since killed nearly 200 Islamic State fighters, dozens of them foreign fighters, and captured villages and bases in the mountainous area controlled by IS.

This story originated in VOA's Somali Service. Fadumo Yasin Jama contributed to the report.

This item is part of

Схожие новости

#Наименование новостиТональностьИнформативностьДата публикации
1Dozens killed in attack on Somali regional capital (VIDEO)013.7818-08-2026
2Агидель: Ночь 20 дек, Чт0019-12-2018
3Уважаемые односельчане ! В преддверии празднования 80 - летия Великой ...0021-02-2025
4Багаевская: Ночь 18 дек, Вт0017-12-2018
5Спрос на перевозки из Китая и Казахстана в Беларусь вырос в 3 раза0028-01-2025
6New TurnKey WordPress appliance (2009.03-hardy)0018-03-2009
7Rusia admite contactos con EE UU, pero avisa que sus condiciones para Ucrania no han cambiado0010-02-2025
8Violences à Bétharram : Bayrou affirme n’être « jamais » intervenu dans cette affaire « ni de près ni de loin »0018-02-2025
9Judo Düsseldorf: Japon judokaların başarısı güne damgasını vurdu0023-02-2020
10El lamentable estado de conservación del Huevo de Colón, todas las fotos0027-02-2025

Классификация: Армия и ОПК. Схожих патентов: 0. Схожих новостей: 10. Тональность: 0. Информативность: 8.82. Источник: www.voanews.com.