Quebec Premier Christine Fréchette has also signalled she would be open to returning U.S. wines to Quebec liquor shelves
Ontario Premier Doug Ford is shown at the ceremonial opening of the Gordie Howe International Bridge in Windsor on Friday, July 24, 2026. Photo by Dan Janisse /PostmediaArticle content
OTTAWA – Ontario Premier Doug Ford said he was open to putting U.S. alcohol back on the shelves in his province if the federal government secures a “fair deal” with the U.S.
THIS CONTENT IS RESERVED FOR SUBSCRIBERS
Enjoy the latest local, national and international news.
SUBSCRIBE FOR MORE ARTICLES
Enjoy the latest local, national and international news.
REGISTER / SIGN IN TO UNLOCK MORE ARTICLES
Create an account or sign in to continue with your reading experience.
THIS ARTICLE IS FREE TO READ REGISTER TO UNLOCK.
Create an account or sign in to continue with your reading experience.
or
Article content
“If we get a fair deal that will protect our steel sector, our auto sector, our forestry sector, agriculture sector, manufacturing sector, then we’d be more than happy to bring booze back on the shelves only if we have a deal that’s going to protect those sectors,” said Ford, during a press conference in Guelph, Ont., on Thursday.
Article content
Article content
Article content
Canada and the U.S. are currently in intense trade talks in Washington, after U.S. President Donald Trump threatened last month to impose a 50 per cent tariff on $29 billion worth of Canadian goods, effective Aug. 19. The president used powers under Section 338 of the Smoot-Hawley Tariff Act.
Article content
Article content
Canadian and American negotiators have been meeting daily, to hammer out a deal ahead of the new U.S. tariff deadline.
Article content
Canada-U.S. Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc and Chief Trade Negotiator Janice Charette are scheduled to meet with Trump’s top trade envoy on Thursday afternoon. It would be the second such meeting in the last three days.
Article content
Some concessions Canada is willing to make in trade talks include lifting counter tariffs on American autos and ending the boycott of U.S. alcoholic products by provincial liquor commissions.
Article content
There have also been discussions about how American quotas are allocated under Canada’s dairy supply management system.
Article content
In return, Canada is looking to avoid the Section 338 tariffs that are set to take effect next week. Negotiators are also looking for tariff relief on steel, aluminum, autos and lumber.
Article content
Article content
The premier was asked on Thursday what he would consider a fair deal, noting the likelihood that any agreement with the U.S. would still include some tariff rate on these sectoral goods.
Article content
“We have to match tariff for tariff,” Ford replied. “We can’t negotiate through weakness.”
Article content
Quebec Premier Christine Fréchette also signalled earlier this week that she would be open to returning U.S. wines to Quebec liquor shelves, but only if progress is shown on the trade front.
Article content
Fréchette met with Quebec industry representatives on Thursday, where she noted the province’s economy has remained resilient, but stressed the importance of creating more stability amid an uncertain trade relationship with the U.S.
Article content
National Post
Article content
Our website is the place for the latest breaking news, exclusive scoops, longreads and provocative commentary. Please bookmark nationalpost.com and sign up for our newsletters here.
Article content
| # | Наименование новости | Тональность | Информативность | Дата публикации |
|---|---|---|---|---|
| 1 | Онтарио отменит пошлины в размере 25% на электроэнергию для США | 0 | 0 | 11-03-2025 |
| 2 | СМИ: премьер-министр Канады подключился к переговорам по NAFTA с США | 0 | 0 | 30-09-2018 |
| 3 | Трюдо и Байден заявили о важности прекращения блокады границы Канады и США дальнобойщиками | 0 | 0 | 11-02-2022 |
| 4 | WSJ: ЕС намерен добиться освобождения алкоголя от импортных пошлин США | 0 | 0 | 05-08-2025 |
| 5 | СМИ: Канада и США договорились о перезаключении соглашения NAFTA | 0 | 0 | 01-10-2018 |
| 6 | В Канаде выразили готовность продолжить торговые переговоры с США | 0 | 0 | 01-11-2025 |
| 7 | Глава Минэнерго США заявил о стремлении возобновить торговые переговоры с Канадой | 0 | 0 | 31-10-2025 |
| 8 | Вице-канцлер ФРГ высказался за вывод сталелитейной отрасли из-под пошлин США | 0 | 0 | 05-08-2025 |
| 9 | Во Франции заявили, что не оставят без ответа пошлины США на вино | 0 | 0 | 13-03-2025 |