US forces hit Iranian military sites near Hormuz after missile attacks as the Senate rejects limits on Trump's war powers.
US led airstrikes strikes began at 8 p.m. ET according to inform U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM), and targeted Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) command centers, missile and drone facilities, coastal defense systems and maritime infrastructure. CENTCOM said the operation was conducted in response to Iran's attempted ballistic missile attack on U.S. forces, all of which were intercepted before reaching their targets.
The exchange ended nearly a week of reduced direct military action between Washington and Tehran, raising concerns that the conflict has entered a renewed phase of escalation centered on military infrastructure and strategic maritime assets along the Persian Gulf.
Senate blocks effort to curb Trump's military authority
As U.S. aircraft struck Iranian targets, the Senate rejected a resolution introduced under the War Powers Resolution of 1973 that sought to require congressional authorization for continued military action against Iran. The measure failed by a 49-47 vote, leaving the administration's current military campaign unchanged.
The War Powers Resolution was enacted to ensure Congress retains oversight of prolonged military engagements. Supporters of the latest measure argued that any sustained campaign against Iran should receive explicit legislative approval, while opponents maintained the president retains authority to respond to attacks on U.S. forces.
Before the vote, Sen. Chris Van Hollen, D-Md., urged lawmakers to support the resolution, arguing Congress had a constitutional responsibility to debate continued U.S. involvement. The resolution's defeat means no new statutory restrictions have been imposed on the administration's operational decisions.
CENTCOM expands strikes after Iranian missile attack
CENTCOM said Iranian forces launched ballistic missiles toward U.S. positions in Jordan on July 29, prompting American missile defense systems to intercept the incoming projectiles before they reached U.S. personnel. The military described the July 30 operation as a "powerful response" to what it called Iran's attempted surprise attack.
According to CENTCOM, the two-hour operation struck dozens of military objectives, including missile launch infrastructure, drone facilities, command-and-control centers and coastal defense assets positioned near the Strait of Hormuz. The U.S. military said the targets were selected to reduce Iran's ability to conduct further attacks against American personnel and regional partners.
President Donald Trump defended the operation, saying the United States would respond forcefully to attacks on its forces. His remarks came shortly before the strikes commenced, following confirmation that Iranian missiles had been intercepted without causing casualties.
Strait of Hormuz remains central to regional security
The latest strikes focused attention once again on the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world's most strategically important maritime chokepoints. According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration, roughly one-fifth of global petroleum liquids consumption passes through the waterway, making any disruption a significant risk to global energy markets.
Military planners have increasingly viewed Iran's southern coastline and maritime infrastructure as critical to protecting freedom of navigation through the strait. CENTCOM's latest operation included strikes against coastal defense capabilities that U.S. officials said could threaten naval operations and commercial shipping.
Although market volatility has eased from earlier peaks, investors continue to monitor developments closely as renewed military activity near the Strait of Hormuz could affect shipping costs, insurance premiums and global crude supplies if hostilities intensify further.
Regional conflict broadens beyond direct U.S.-Iran confrontation
The renewed U.S. strikes come as the regional conflict expands across multiple fronts involving U.S. allies and Iranian-backed armed groups. Associated Press reported that U.S. and Saudi forces also conducted operations against Iran-backed targets in Iraq after attacks on regional energy infrastructure, highlighting the widening geographic scope of the conflict.
Iran has maintained that attacks launched against it from neighboring countries could make U.S. military facilities in those states legitimate targets, reinforcing concerns that additional countries could become directly involved if military exchanges continue.
Despite the latest escalation, U.S. officials have continued to characterize the strikes as defensive measures intended to deter further attacks rather than signal a broader offensive campaign. Whether diplomatic channels can be revived will likely depend on whether both sides refrain from further direct military action in the coming days.
| # | Наименование новости | Тональность | Информативность | Дата публикации |
|---|---|---|---|---|
| 1 | US completes new wave of strikes on Iran: CENTCOM | 0 | 7 | 13-07-2026 |
| 2 | US military strikes Iran after Tehran hits 3 tankers in Strait of Hormuz | 0 | 6.77 | 07-07-2026 |
| 3 | US begins new Iran strikes after Trump says ships will be charged to use the Strait of Hormuz | -2 | 3 | 13-07-2026 |
| 4 | US military strikes Iran after Tehran hits 3 tankers in Strait of Hormuz | -2 | 7 | 07-07-2026 |
| 5 | Iran and US trade fire and Trump calls the ceasefire into question | -2 | 6 | 08-07-2026 |
| 6 | US military strikes Iran after Tehran hits 3 tankers in Strait of Hormuz | -2 | 7 | 07-07-2026 |
| 7 | US military strikes Iran after Tehran hits 3 tankers in Strait of Hormuz | -5 | 7 | 07-07-2026 |
| 8 | US military strikes Iran after Tehran hits 3 tankers in Strait of Hormuz | -5 | 7 | 07-07-2026 |
| 9 | US launches strikes on Iran after Tehran attacks container ship | -5 | 7 | 27-06-2026 |
| 10 | Top White House official QUITS as Trump's Iran war spirals out of control after chilling new attack | 0 | 5.97 | 14-08-2026 |